Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My favourite Maharshtrian Breakfast (Indian Recipe)

Breakfast is that first important meal of the day, that can carry you till lunch time. So given a choice, I would love to have these every day but in a family you have various members with varied choices so we have it at least once a week to satisfy my taste buds. I got this recipe from my dear Ajji (she is not my real Ajji but I call her Ajji because she surely reminds me of my own and she has the same love for feeding me so this one is all thanks to her.) because every time I would go to her house from school, she would feed me with hot pohas that always were mouth watering. So here is the recipe for Kande Pohe.

Ingredients:

1 cup thick poha
1 medium onion (finely chopped)
4-5 tsp oil
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp suger
1 tsp salt
1 green chilli (cut in 3-4 pieces)
coriander leaves for garnishing
2-3 tsp coconut (optional for garnishing)

In a strainer put the pohas and wash them with warm (not boiling hot though) water till they soften a bit and are clean. Now keeping them in the strainer sprinkle suger and salt on it. Do not mix them. In a kadai or pan, heat the oil. Add chilli pieces, onions & turmeric powder. Fry onions till slight brown (don't let them burn otherwise it will not taste good. Just fry them till transparent. Now add the pohas straight from the strainer. Mix well and cover. You only need to keep it on a low flame for about 4-5 minutes as the pohas are almost cooked while washing with warm water. Turn the gas off and garnish with coriander leaves and coconut and serve.

Note: You can also add green peas to it but I prefer it plain. And for all the non-veg lovers, have you heard of prwawn/shrimp pohas, well I have tried them and they are yum. All you do is, after the onions are fried add the shrimp (raw cleaned) and cover with a lid till they are cooked and follow the rest same. Believe me, you will love them.

Do let me know how you all liked the pohas once you try...

No comments: