Thursday, June 19, 2008

Another version of Potato Subzi (Indian Recipe)

Is there anyone in this world who doesn't like potatoes. In our household, that's the favorite most for everyone. We cook them in very many ways but this works out to be the simplest of all for me because there is not much for me to do in it. I got this recipe from a lady whom I used to work with. She used to do most of her cooking in the pressure cooker and even though I love to cook, I use my pressure cooker for basic things like khichadi or daal or chicken instead of making vegetables in it. So when I cooked this recipe, I was amazed at how little I had to do and how tasty it turned out to be. So here goes....

Ingredients:

2 Large or 3 Medium potatoes (peeled and cut in cubes)
1 onion (finely chopped)
1/2 tsp jeera seeds
1 tomato (finely chopped)
pinch of hing
1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
water (just enough to cover the ingredients in the pressure cooker)
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp of tomato paste
1/2 tsp of mustard seeds
5-6 curry leaves
4-5 tsp oil

Put the potatoes, onion, tomato (fresh), jeera, hing, turmeric powder and water in pressure cooker and cook till one whistle. Now switch off the flame but do not move the pressure cooker from gas and let it cool. Once its cooled then open the lid and bring to boil on medium flame. Add salt, tomato paste, garam masala. Heat the oil on side and add mustard seeds. Once they pop, add curry leaves and add this to the potato mixture and cover. Cook for couple of minutes and serve hot. You can garnish with coriander leaves if you like. Serve with chapaties, bread or rice. This is a gravy dish so goes well with any Indian bread or rice.

I hope you all enjoy this recipe and do let me know how you liked it....

No comments: