Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Are we really social? (General)

I always thought I am a friendly and social person. I would have never had to doubt this belief before. My son who is three is actually shy when he meets new people and takes his own time to make friends, which is perfectly fine. But as a mum, I make sure we take him to socialize with all his age group kids and also encourage him to talk to our friends to get him used to the socializing skills. After moving to the USA, I have tried to go out more with my little one so that in the process of his socializing, I also meet new friends and have a good group of friends. I mean how can one live without any family or friends in a completely strange country, right? After all we are all social animals. Hmmm, well its been almost two years since I have lived in this new country. I have come across thousands of people in this time. People even talk to each other in this part of the world even if you are complete strangers, unlike the previous country we lived in where people would find it strange if you smile at your co passenger in the train. So in spite of the thousands of people I have come across here, I have made how many friends you would ask now...Now its time for me to think...I used to think all the people whom I am friendly with are my friends. But lets just say that certain experiences have made me realize thats not the case. So once I take that equation out, honestly speaking there is no one that I would feel comfortable calling at 3 am for anything. So does this mean, I am not a social person? So how can I teach my son this very important life skill, if I don't posses it myself. So I think hard as to why is that the case? Is it because I am not as adaptable as other people, but then wherever I go, I can talk to anyone and I mean absolutely anyone so shyness or lack of initiation is not a problem. But how do you develop that friendly relationship to the next level where you would feel you can tell that person absolutely anything and you won't be judged or laughed at. Is it even possible for anyone to share yourself so easily? I have lots and lots of people with whom we meet on regular basis, due to our son's preschool gatherings or the community gatherings but still there is a big difference between social circle and friends circle isn't it. Then I think back to the time when I had such friends and I go back to my school days...always...That was when I had one such good friend. We could talk for hours, understand each other perfectly and no matter what we did, we never laughed at each other. It was almost the feeling of being close to someone whom you just never judge, no matter what. And then the sad thing was, she left school and we lost touch. I guess, since then I have been searching for that great deep connection and come up short with every friend I come across. Luckily for me though, my hubby is that one someone that I can say I can wake up even at 3am (though not for girl talk....) and he is the best friend for me. Will I ever feel that kind of kinship with any other friends ever, I really don't know. But the search is on....May be its not yet too late but how do you teach your kid something that you don't know is the million dollar question.

No comments: