Thursday, June 19, 2008

Me and Music...(General)

Just like everyone else, I have certain things that I cherish the most in my life...My family, food, my pets and music. I am told that I started singing when I was two years old and I just wouldn't stop. Anyone just had to say the word sing and even before they finished the word, I would start singing....I have come far from that age, hence now I show modesty and ask someone else to sing first but the music lover in me is still the same. I grew up listening to Asha Bhosle, Lata Mangeshkar, Rafi, Kishore Kumar, Gulam Ali, Talat, Saigal, Noorjahan, Hemlata, Yesudas, the list goes on. I even like todays singers like Shreya, Sonu, Sunidhi, K.K., Bombay Jayashree, Alka, Richa Sharma etc etc.

I do not want to get into who are better than others as I feel every singer has their own niche. Everyone is great in their own right. The fact that they get to sing a song and so many listeners from all over the world get to listen to their voice, makes them special. Growing up, music played an important role in my life. I remember vividly that I would listen to music first thing when I woke up and would sleep, listening to music. The kind of music I would listen to would depend on my moods. The days when I didn't feel so happy, would certainly belong to Talat, Kishore Kumar (his sad or slow songs), Lata, Saigal, Yesudas and Noorjahan to some extent. Yet, when I was very happy and upbeat, I would automatically choose Asha, Kishore Kumar's fast songs. But then there were days when a song would change my mood. So having heard all the sad songs for the most part of the day, a good club song from Asha or a fast number from Kishore Kumar would lift my mood up for the rest of the day.

After all these years, now that I am a busy mum, I still sing while doing most things in the house, whether its cooking, cleaning or any other chores. I always have music in my car and I sing whenever I get a chance. Lets just say that music is where I feel, I am myself and completely relaxed. And over the years I have listened to other music styles too but my all time favorite is still Bollywood music and then Marathi music. I hope I pass this liking to my son, who I must say does show a liking towards music as of now.

I can't imagine my life without music in it. It's as essential as food for me. Now that I am learning the classical music, I have come full circle and feel that there is so much of it that I have yet to explore. The sea of music just keeps on widening and a keen listener in me feels like I don't have enough time to explore all of it. Yet the journey continues...

No comments: