Monday, January 26, 2009

Tendli Bhutti Recipe

My husband is Saraswat whereas I am GSB so there are lots of dishes that are made in their home which I am not familiar with. One of such dishes is Bhutti. The first time I heard about it, I cracked up as I thought my husband was pulling my leg but later I learnt that there really is a dish called Bhutti and it can be made with different vegetables but the one that I am going to talk about today is Tendli (Tindora as its known from Indian Grocery Shops)Bhutti. My husband loves this one which is a surprise as he is an avid non-veg fan so whenever he says he likes any particular vegetable, I jump and try to make that one so that we get our portion of veggies too this way.

So this one was a real challenge for me as not only have I not heard about this one but not seen or eaten it before which meant I had to rely on my husband every step of the way. I called up my sister in law who lives in UK and she helped me out with this one. She is one of the few people I know who can cook just about everything and that too very well. Also she can eat something and guess what the dish will have in it and how it must have been made which is an amazing quality so having taken the recipe from her in detail, I decided to give it a go today. To my utter surprise, it actually came out very good and my husband said its just as he remembered it so a big thank you to my Bhabhi for this one...

Ingredients:

  • 25-30 Tindoras/Tendli (cut in circles but not too thin, for those who haven't cooked it before you need to first wash them and cut the front and end before cutting these.)
  • 3/4 cup of grated wet coconut (I use the frozen variety)
  • 1 medium onion finely chopped
  • 3 tsp Dhane/Coriander Seeds
  • 10-12 Byagadi Red Chillies Dry (These are not very hot but give a good color, if you use normal dry red chillies then use very sparingly and add paprika or kashmiri red chilli powder later on)
  • 1/4 tsp Methi seeds
  • 2 tsp Urad Daal
  • Salt to taste
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp tamarind pulp
  • Oil (1 tsp to fry spices and 4-5 tsp for the actual recipe)
Recipe: Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add coriander seeds, methi seeds, urad daal & red chillies. Fry till the aroma of spices start coming out. Now grind these spices with coconut in a mixie. Do not add much water while grinding and keep the paste a little coarse as you do not want a very fine paste for this preparation. Now in a kadai add the remaining oil and once heated add the finely chopped onions. Once the onions become transparent, add the tindora and fry well. At this time, add turmeric powder and paprika powder (if you used the normal red chillies or if you want extra colour without much spice-I add 1 tsp in mine as we all like it red in colour and a little spicy as it should be spicy vegetable) Now on medium flame fry the tindora till its completely done. You can even cover the kadai with lid to quicken this process. But make sure the tindora is not burnt. Once the tindora is cooked, add the ground coarse paste. Fry some more till the oil starts coming out from sides. Now add the tamarind pulp, sugar and salt. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes or so. You serve this dish dryish with coarse masala so do not add much water in this dish. Serve hot with chapaties or Dali Thoy and rice, yum yum...

Hope you all enjoy this one too.

No comments: