Monday, January 26, 2009

Daali Thoy Recipe

I am sure all the konkani people have this recipe for sure as we eat Daali Toy regularly in the konkani households. The interesting part is though, there are little variations that I have seen in different households so here is my version.

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup of toor daal
  • pinch of hing/asafoetida
  • 1 inch piece of ginger (pressed with rolling pin)
  • 1/4 tsp haldi/turmeric powder
  • Salt to taste
  • 3 tsp oil
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 7-8 kadipatta leaves
Recipe:

In a pressure cooker, add toor daal, hing, ginger piece, haldi and enough water. Pressure cook the daal for about 4-5 whistles. I like to leave the pressure cooker on the same gas hob once I switch it off till the steams is completely out. Now open the pressure cooker and mash the daal well. In a pan make a tadka of oil, mustard seeds, pinch of hing, kadipatta (add these once the mustard seeds start crackling) Add the cooked daal on this. Add salt and cover till the daal boils. Serve hot with rice.

Tip: In the authentic recipe, my granny used to use the coconut oil for tadka but as my husband does not like the taste of it, I use normal canola oil for tadka. Some people use either 1-2 green or red chillies in tadka too but in our house we all love it plain with taste of ginger and hing predominantly in this.

No comments: