Sunday, January 25, 2009

Egg Bhurjee (Recipe) & my childhood memory of it.

I am an avid food lover and you can see this by the fact that every dish has a certain memory attached to it from my past. So when I was in school, we used to get some help in the house and the lady who used to come to our house used to sometimes cook snacks for me if I was too hungry and there was nothing in the fridge waiting for me (which was not often I must say) so one day I came home from school and was sooo hungry, so I asked Kamal (who was our household help) if she could make something for me that would be quick and filling. My cooking horizon was not that expanded by then so I used to take at least an hour to cook and I was too hungry to wait for an hour. So she asked me to get some bread and eggs which I promptly did from our local bakery. She made this dish called egg bhurjee and I was hooked on to it like anything. Then on I made sure, she cooked that at least once a week for me and then I also learnt it from her so that I could make it more often.

Here is the recipe for all of you now, hope you enjoy it as much as I do, even today...

Ingredients:

  • 4 Eggs
  • 1 large onion
  • 1-1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder (I use kashmiri chilli powder which is not too hot but gives the colour desired for this recipe)
  • Salt to taste
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
  • Coriander leaves chopped for garnishing (optional)
  • Oil 2 spoonful
  • Ghee/Butter 1 spoonful
  • 2 medium tomatoes
In a kadai or deep pan, add the oil and butter and heat it. Kamal used to make it all in butter but I keep the taste by having some butter and using the rest oil so its not as fattening. Once the oil is heated, add finely chopped onions to it. Fry till they are brown on the edges, do not let it burn though you just want the light golden colour to edges only. Now add turmeric and chilli powder. Mix well. Now add finely chopped tomatoes and salt. Mix well till you see oil separating from sides. Now break the eggs in this and start stirring. You can even use the spatula to break the egg pieces in the pan while the mixture is getting dry. I make sure the eggs come out like a kheema (very small pieces). Now turn the stove on high heat and make sure the bhurjee is nice and dry. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with paav (Indian bread).

No comments: